Bear Cottage (www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au) is the only children’s hospice in NSW - a very special place that’s dedicated to caring for children with life-limiting conditions.
Families who care for a child with a life-limiting condition often do so around the clock for many years.
We provide respite and end-of-life care for children with terminal illnesses and their families in a medically supported ‘home away from home'. For children in our care, there is no happy ending or miracle cure so we give them as much love, care, laughter, fun, and support, as they need.
We care for kids from across Australia and from all walks of life. Every child that visits us lives with a condition that means they are unlikely to see their 18th birthday. Many don’t make their first one.
We cater for the entire family - parents and siblings can enjoy time together without the worry of housework and cooking. There’s time for families to create lasting memories to cherish after their child has passed away.
Our vision is to be as far removed from a hospital environment as possible. We're set up to provide excellence in paediatric palliative care 24 hours a day, and our affiliation to The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network means we have access to some of the best medical resources in the world. Nurses provide medical assistance, administer medications and offer support and guidance to patients and their families around the clock.
Our future…why we need superheroes
- Raise $50 and fund an hour’s hydrotherapy in our hot spa providing relaxation and exercise for kids with little or no movement.
- Raise $100 and you could keep ice cream in our freezer for a month! That means everyone can have an ice cream after dinner - just like at home.
- Raise $200 and you could pay for production of a fingerprint/footprint cast sculpture that parents can keep forever.
- Raise $500 and you could pay for a sling so children can be lifted out of bed with ease.
- Raise $1,000 to support the professional development of our clinical staff.
- Raise $5,000 - this could pay our electricity bill for a month.
- Raise $10,000 - will fund a week's respite for a family of four t Bear Cottage for a week.
- Raise $20,000 to support our Housekeepers who ensure that Bear Cottage is always a sparkling and relaxing home away from home.
Bear Cottage uses Superhero donated funds to supply services and programs such as:
- Respite and Therapy provided by our social worker and family support team provides assistance and coping strategies to families.
- Child Life Therapy offers play, music and art therapy as a fun and creative outlet for children and families.
- Camps for children with life-limiting illness and their families provide opportunity to connect with other families and children with similar medical conditions.
- Footprints in the Sand, our bereavement support program is available to our families for as long as they need.
For every business that took up a Merchant Pricing Hub annual membership during the month of June 2018 and completed a short 5 minute survey to provide feedback after using all the website tools, we donated $60 to Bear Cottage.